Monday, January 24, 2011

Rushmore (1998)

The only reason I decided to watch this film was that I had to watch for a film class that I am taking at my University. I do have to say that I thought the movie was really good and Jason Schwartzman (Funny People) and Bill Murray (Ghostbusters) make an excellent team in this movie. It's the story of a kid named Max Fischer, he goes to a very prestigious private school and runs just about every club in the place. The only problem is that Max is a very bad student and is about to face expulsion. The other problem for Max is that he falls in love with a teacher at the school named Mrs. Cross (Played by Olivia Williams) and the only problem for Max is she's not in love with him. Bill Murray plays Mr. Blume, a friend of Max's and he is also in love with Mrs. Cross who by the way is a widower. The whole movie is about triumph and self reception and what I mean by that is Max tries everything in his power to win Ms. cross and win the attention of others. Self Reception because Max is very aware of who he really is and is ashamed of the fact that his father is a barber. He lies to everyone at school and tells them he's a neurosurgeon because he goes to a private school and he wants to seem as sophisticated as the rest of them. The movie has a lot of great moments in it and even features Luke Wilson (Old School) as a Doctor, Seymour Cassel (The Royal Tenenbaums) as Max's Dad, Brian Cox (The Bourne Identity) as the principal, and Andrew Wilson (Whip It) as the baseball coach. I think this was the first in a string of weird comedies for Bill Murray and I give it a B+ because Schwartzman is absolutely brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment